By: Jonathan Auxier
Add on Goodreads
Two young orphaned siblings named Molly and Kip get a new job as servants working for the Windsors at their mysterious mansion. But little do they know is that there are more dangers at the manor than they ever could have suspected.
• Some very suspenseful and frightening scenes
• A supernatural being drains the life out of several characters
• Minor profanity (d*mn, h*ll)
• Two older men make brief lewd comments to a young girl
• A married couple shares a kiss
• A woman drinks wine
• A man smells of “ale and tobacco”
The Night Gardener is a spooky middle grade standalone that might be too much for timid younger children to handle. Readers will cheer for the main characters as Molly and Kip bravely face one perilous escapade after another. The ending is satisfying, if a bit abrupt, and the creative plot is engaging.