By: Ellen Hopkins
Add on Goodreads
Vanessa, Tony, and Conner all have something in common: they each tried to commit suicide. Sent to Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital, the three teens have no hope of recovering from their past traumatizing lives . . . that is, until they meet each other.
• Profanity (including the F-word)
• References to sex, sexual abuse, sleeping with a teacher, and an abortion
• Descriptions of past attempted suicide
• Reference to a murder
• A character cuts herself
• A character is bipolar
• A character thinks he’s gay
• Many characters are on medication
• Reference to past drug use
Impulse is the gritty first book in a two-part duology. It is written in free verse, and the tales the characters tell about their lives are very dark. Not recommended for young or immature readers.