By: Leslye Walton
Add on Goodreads
Ava Lavender’s family seems to be cursed with the habit of falling in love with the wrong people. Her mother and grandmother’s love affairs both ended tragically. But Ava is ready to brave the generation of bad luck behind her when she realizes she’s falling in love herself—but the pair of wings on her back that she was born with aren’t making the feat any easier.
Parents should be aware that this is a young adult book and contains the following inappropriate content:
• Profanity (including one F-word)
• Some suggestive sex scenes
• One brief and disturbing scene in which an older, married woman preforms oral sex on a young boy
• Brief mention of a character being homosexual
• References to breasts
• Violence (rape scene, some grotesque descriptions of wounds, one crazed character hacks off another character’s wings, deaths)
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is YA contemporary mixed with magical realism in a beautifully written, addictive standalone. The characters are complex, quirky, humorous, and each have their own backstory. It should be suitable for ages fourteen or fifteen and up.
Readers who enjoyed The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender might also like: