By: Cynthia Hand
Add on Goodreads
Lex’s brother Ty tried to kill himself once before, but no one suspected he would make a second attempt . . . and succeed. Now Lex is struggling with the aftereffects of her brother’s suicide as everything in her life seems to be falling apart.
This is a young adult book and contains:
• Depictions of Ty shooting himself in the chest with a rifle
• Graphic violent nightmares
• Profanity (a few F-words, b*tch, *sshole, sh*t, d*ck, douche, butthead, and misuses of God’s name)
• Kissing with tongue
• References to making out
• Valium, wine, and drinking
• Preteens and older characters smoke (although the main character makes several stands against cigarettes)
The Last Time We Say Goodbye is an emotional, in-depth look at what it’s like to lose a family member to suicide. The characters obviously do not approve of the fact that Ty killed himself, and Lex is angry at him and even blames herself for his death. Fans of Unearthly should also be aware that this standalone is very different from the author’s paranormal trilogy, and more mature.