Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Favorite Fall Reads

I’ve read quite a few books so far this fall, most of them ranging from the fantasy, science fiction, and contemporary genres. I hope you enjoy this list of my top fall favorites!

First up is The Infinite Sea, the sequel to the bestselling post-apocalypse book The 5th Wave, which came out last year. In this sci-fi followup, more is revealed about the mysterious aliens known as the Others, and Rick Yancey’s gorgeous writing and intense action scenes don’t disappoint; however, I did think the first book was a bit better, because I thought the desperate “survival” feeling throughout the whole first book just wasn’t quite as strong in The Infinite Sea. It was still very enjoyable, though, and was over all a really awesome read.

Next on this list is a self-published contemporary standalone that was actually written by a friend of mine. The story mainly surrounds Adelaide and Nathan’s romance, which, I’m pleased to write, is very different from the way couples are portrayed in the average young adult book. There’s so much more to this than just a unique chick-lit, though: Adelaide has a haunted past she keeps secret, and she and Nathan both struggle with different traumas they’ve experienced. A Twist in the Story conveys humor and sorrow, and brilliantly balances out the contrast between the two.

I think Falling into Place ended up being the biggest surprise for me out of the books on this list. When I first heard about it, the idea didn’t sound too compelling: A depressed teenage girl tries to commit suicide, but fails, and ends up in critical condition in the hospital. I’m so glad I decided to give it a try, though, because it ended up being one of the most moving books I’ve read this year, and provided an extraordinarily realistic insight on the main subject of teen suicide.

In my opinion, The Young Elites topped Legend by Marie Lu (although, to be fair, I haven’t yet read her other books in the Legend Trilogy). I thought this book had more intricate characters, a cooler plot, and a much darker, but totally awesome, theme. The Young Elites was full of twists, and ultimately had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I’m looking forward to reading more books from this series in the future!

Last, but not least, is the historical mystery debut, Jackaby. Oh, Jackaby—I seriously loved this book! The odd, dry humor had me cracking up way more than I expected, and the Sherlock Holmes-like plot was full of paranormal elements, which were both fascinating and surprisingly believable. Not to mention the quirky, bundles-of-fun characters. I highly recommend everyone pick up a copy of this charming book!

What are some books you’ve enjoyed reading this fall?

This post was created for a giveaway hosted by Beth Revis, the author of the Across the Universe Trilogy. For more information on the giveaway, read details about it here.

Best Blogger Tips

1 comment :

  1. I've been hearing a lot of good things about The Young Elites. It sound like my kind of setting: dark and gritty. The protagonist skirts both good and evil.

    This is the sort of thing that should get around more: the gray, complexity of our own inner struggles with right and wrong.

    Good stuff!

    —Vic S.—
    http://www.grauwelt.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent & Upcoming Releases on Amazon