Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Review: Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice, Book 1)

Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)

By: Joseph Delaney
ISBN-10: 1419384465
Add to your Goodreads Shelf 

Of age to be apprenticed, Thomas Ward is to become the apprentice of a Spook. In a world where evil creatures, invisible beasts, and even the dead can roam about causing destruction, it's the Spook's job to protect the innocent from unimaginable horrors. Unimaginable to all but the few that can see them, and Thomas is one of those few.

Revenge of the Witch is an enjoyable tale written with such a level of suspense that it keeps your attention to the very end. It was darker than I originally expected, but the darkness comes from the evil surrounding our main characters rather than from within them. The reader should be aware that the story contains animated corpses, violent death, blood extraction, and various other gruesome images. I would categorize this book as dark fantasy, and would advise discretion with young readers.



Readers who enjoy The Last Apprentice may also enjoy the lighter fantasy adventure series: Ranger's Apprentice.

 The Ruins of Gorlan: Book One
Best Blogger Tips

4 comments :

  1. It doesn't sound like something I would want to read before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds interesting- a friend of mine read it and really enjoyed it. It does sound like something that might scare me- and kids, too. Thanks for sharing!

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/
    Also, my co-author, Stephanie, liked your fb page today. Please like us back at: http://www.facebook.com/fairday

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out how to fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah, Great review. I have read this novel aswell and enjoyed it tremendously. I am currently at the Rage of the Fallen? It's a great series :D I saw that you and I shared similar interests in books therefore I decided to follow you. If you wish to check my blog out here it is. http://bookmark-reviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...