By: Ilona Andrews
Add to Goodreads
When a haughty blue blood from the Weird shows up demanding Rose issue him challenges for the right to take her away with him, Rose is determined to outwit him and send him on his heals. But when deadly creatures start attacking the community and targeting her family, Rose realizes she has bigger problems than her impossible love life.
On the Edge is an adult urban fantasy of sorts set primarily in the narrow land that creates a border between the broken (our world) and the weird (magical version of our world with it's own unique history and political divisions). The book can seem a tad slow to get going, but picks up significantly a little ways in. It has strong themes of romance, trust issues, and trouble accepting death.
It also contains:
- Profanity (God d*mn, sh8t, f word, wh*re, b*tch)
- Injuries (blood, sewing wounds back together)
- Cannibalism referenced
- Blood drinking
- Use of magic to hurt, kill, curse & change shape
- Necromancy (animation of corpses)
- References to segregation and imprisonment of children
- References to marital unfaithfulness
- Open mouthed kissing (detailed)
- Making out
- Implied sex
- Detailed sex scene (outside of marriage)
On the Edge is the first book in a four novel series, but can be treated as a stand alone story. Each book has unique protagonists and plots, but also furthers an overarching plot about the world these books take place in. The second book, Bayou Moon, does cameo some beloved characters from On the Edge.
Readers who enjoy On the Edge may like Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews: